merlin

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
bettie

Re: merlin

Post by bettie »

Troll wrote:And another thing :lol: Now that I think about it, when he was talking about good renditions of the legend, he mentioned a couple of them and then said, "... or even John Boorman's Excalibur." So he was rating "Excalibur" (the 1980 or 1981 movie) as being one of the worst renditions.
If Excalibur is a bad rendition of the story, I don't want a good one.
Troll

Post by Troll »

bettie wrote:
Troll wrote:And another thing :lol: Now that I think about it, when he was talking about good renditions of the legend, he mentioned a couple of them and then said, "... or even John Boorman's Excalibur." So he was rating "Excalibur" (the 1980 or 1981 movie) as being one of the worst renditions.
If Excalibur is a bad rendition of the story, I don't want a good one.
Yeah I knew a guy who dismissed it just because in myth Uther and Merlin were brothers (half-brothers I believe) while in "Excalibur" they clearly were not since Merlin apparently went back many ages. But you run into people lilke that with any story where they just want a by the numbers rendition of the original story.
olthar

Post by olthar »

uther and merlin were related? I thought I'd read le morte d'arthur and i dont remember that at all... guess it was years ago
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Troll wrote:I somehow went through the characters in my mind and immediately said, Uther. I'll bet anything he's playing Uther.
Yes, he's playing Uther. It was the casting of ASH and Richard Wilson as Gaius, the healer (who I haven't come across in my searches on the original legend, so I believe he might be an original character?) that first peaked my interest. And he's probably got a point that the show has been given a 21st century slant, but given everything else that's changed in this version, I'd have said that that was probably the least of his worries. The portrayal of Guinevere will probably be making his head spin! :P

I think there's probably a real fear that people might watch this, and assume that this is the legend in TV form. However, it could also go the other way, as it has with me, and might encourage people to learn more about the original legend after watching the show. I think there are enough big differences between the real legend and this show that would sound warning bells in most people that it's not entirely accurate. My main references for the Arthurian legend are the Disney film Sword in the Stone and the musical Camelot, which had enough of the real legend in them for me to question the accuracy of the TV show. :D
Troll

Post by Troll »

Gandalf wrote:
Troll wrote: Yes, he's playing Uther. It was the casting of ASH and Richard Wilson as Gaius, the healer (who I haven't come across in my searches on the original legend, so I believe he might be an original character?) that first peaked my interest. And he's probably got a point that the show has been given a 21st century slant, but given everything else that's changed in this version, I'd have said that that was probably the least of his worries. The portrayal of Guinevere will probably be making his head spin! :P

I think there's probably a real fear that people might watch this, and assume that this is the legend in TV form. However, it could also go the other way, as it has with me, and might encourage people to learn more about the original legend after watching the show. I think there are enough big differences between the real legend and this show that would sound warning bells in most people that it's not entirely accurate. My main references for the Arthurian legend are the Disney film Sword in the Stone and the musical Camelot, which had enough of the real legend in them for me to question the accuracy of the TV show. :D
Is Guinevere a bit Xena-like? :)

I've been to the official site, as I mentioned, and read everything available there. To be honest, I really think there are people who have very purist attitudes about a lot of things and I personally think those attitudes are misplaced. Its more a preoccupation with the technical details than with how good a version is in its own rights. I frequent some boards for comic characters, for example, and you can find some boards where "Smallville" and even the Superman comics of the last 20 years just get criticized viciously because its not the Superman they grew up on. For example, rather than considering himself a Kryptonian and Clark Kent is just a disguise, he considers himself human and Superman is just a disguise- which, to me, feels immensely more believable as he grew up as Clark regardless of how many secrets he had to hide (as if teenagers aren't a mass of secrets and hidden feelings anyway).
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Troll wrote:Is Guinevere a bit Xena-like? :)
She's Morgana's maid servant who fancies Merlin, and has barely looked twice at Arthur (in fact she's actually stated that she dislikes him - although that story could come later). She was diverted when Lancelot came along for one episode though.
Cazzle

Post by Cazzle »

JupiterAmy wrote:whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

There's a Merlin TV show? Why did no one tell me!
And Merlin is Colin, from the S4 ep of Doctor Who, Midnight. But you have probably worked that one out by now.
Troll

Post by Troll »

Gandalf wrote:
Troll wrote:Is Guinevere a bit Xena-like? :)
She's Morgana's maid servant who fancies Merlin, and has barely looked twice at Arthur (in fact she's actually stated that she dislikes him - although that story could come later). She was diverted when Lancelot came along for one episode though.
Well, I finally got to see it. My best friend downloaded the first nine episodes using his superior technology. :D I just watched the first one and I really like it. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
Techboy

Post by Techboy »

Troll wrote:...the man he became and is older than Uther. Again, its a pivotal point that Merlin is really Arthur's spiritual father and mentor. His objection was that if you just changed the names of the characters, it would have nothing to do with the Arthur legend and he's afraid that, if the show catches on, for a generation, people will think this has anything to do with the legend.
Sort of like what the BBC tried to do with Robin Hood - I tried to watch the version for a couple of episodes they showed on BBC America, and could not get past 30 minutes of either episode. It was too much of modern sensibilities placed on a renaissance excellent band, BTW story. That, and it was too soap oprary.
From the mind of the official Techboy (R) of the Temporary forums
Troll

Post by Troll »

Techboy wrote:
Troll wrote:...the man he became and is older than Uther. Again, its a pivotal point that Merlin is really Arthur's spiritual father and mentor. His objection was that if you just changed the names of the characters, it would have nothing to do with the Arthur legend and he's afraid that, if the show catches on, for a generation, people will think this has anything to do with the legend.
Sort of like what the BBC tried to do with Robin Hood - I tried to watch the version for a couple of episodes they showed on BBC America, and could not get past 30 minutes of either episode. It was too much of modern sensibilities placed on a renaissance excellent band, BTW story. That, and it was too soap oprary.
All true but I find it entertaining enough to watch. The same criticisms were levied against Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and the writers of the show joked about it themselves.

Of course, most of the actors are complete unknowns to me although I'm sure some are well-known to the British audience. I know ASH of course or AH as he isn't using the middle name here and I know Michelle Ryan only from the fact she just did the short-lived Bionic Woman remake in the States.