Top 10 places to see before you die

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Lucretia

Top 10 places to see before you die

Post by Lucretia »

The Top 10 places to see, allegedly!

Have you been to any of these places?

Would you like to go to any of these places? Or not?

Could you compile a better list?
Gandalf

Re: Top 10 places to see before you die

Post by Gandalf »

Of the top 10 places of all time, I've been to 5 of them (Paris, France; London, United Kingdom; New York, United States; Brussels, Belgium; Prague, Czech Republic), which I don't think is too bad for a 27 year old. I still have plenty of travel time left in me, I think.

However, looking at the list, it looks a bit odd to me. Now, I'm not a big traveller, so for me to have visited half of the places on it is strange. The destinations all seem very close to home (to the UK at least). It's not a very exotic list, is it? I would have thought that other places would have made it into the top 10 before, say Brussels and Amsterdam. Don't get me wrong, I adore Brussels and would personally choose it above Paris, but I get the feeling that's not the general concensus, so was surprised to see it there.
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Gandalf wrote:Of the top 10 places of all time, I've been to 5 of them (Paris, France; London, United Kingdom; New York, United States; Brussels, Belgium; Prague, Czech Republic), which I don't think is too bad for a 27 year old. I still have plenty of travel time left in me, I think.

However, looking at the list, it looks a bit odd to me. Now, I'm not a big traveller, so for me to have visited half of the places on it is strange. The destinations all seem very close to home (to the UK at least). It's not a very exotic list, is it? I would have thought that other places would have made it into the top 10 before, say Brussels and Amsterdam. Don't get me wrong, I adore Brussels and would personally choose it above Paris, but I get the feeling that's not the general concensus, so was surprised to see it there.
Totally. I agree. Although I picked the website at random! I'd include Russian, China, India ..........
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I've been to NY state, not NYC, and I did a 3 hour layover in Heathrow Airport, does that count as visiting London?
X
costello_girl

Post by costello_girl »

I think if I compiled a list of places to see before I die, I would not have them all be big cities. What about places like Macchu Pichu? or the Grand Canyon? the Great Wall of China? Infinitely more interesting than just seeing a big city. That said, I would like to see the following:

Paris
Delphi
London
Tokyo
Macchu Pichu
Churchill, Manitoba (polar bears, dude!)
St. Johns, Newfoundland
Okavango Delta, Botswana
The Great Wall of China
The Great Pyramids
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

I am going to walk the Great Wall of China for charity. I look forward to it immensely.

Yes, I honestly know what you mean. I wouldn't just make it about big cities.

Oh! Egypt. I would love love love to see Egypt.

And Morocco.
bettie

Post by bettie »

I've been to London and New York. I'd totally go to everywhere listed, but my personal top five (of this moment) places to go would be Salzburg, Vatican City (and the rest of Rome while I'm there), Siwa Oasis, wherever the Guinness brewery is, and Portland fucking Oregon (to see if it really exists).
costello_girl

Post by costello_girl »

but my personal top five (of this moment) places to go would be Salzburg, Vatican City (and the rest of Rome while I'm there), Siwa Oasis, wherever the Guinness brewery is, and Portland fucking Oregon (to see if it really exists).
Oh, oh! I have been to all of those places, with the exception of the Siwa Oasis. But I will now have to go there just because bettie said. The Guinness Brewery is in Dublin. Skip the tour and go straight to the top floor, where they will serve you a pint of yumminess. Then visit the ad section. The Jameson Distillery is also in Dublin. If you go to Jameson, make sure to steal the glasses from the tasting room, because they don't sell them at the gift shop. Rat Irish Bastards. And of course, when you go to Salzburg, be sure to sing Do Re Mi ad naseum. Just because.
bettie

Post by bettie »

costello_girl wrote:And of course, when you go to Salzburg, be sure to sing Do Re Mi ad naseum. Just because.
Why, The Sound of Music has nothing to do with my desire to visit Salzburg! Nothing at all! ;)
bettie

Post by bettie »

Also, my all-time Top Two places to go before I die are Montenegro and Sicily. I meant to mention that earlier.