Online storage

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Lucretia

Online storage

Post by Lucretia »

Hi all. Any recommendations for where I can store my myriad of files online so I can retrieve them from anywhere, which is good and not dodgy in any way?

Cheers all.
Bally

Re: Online storage

Post by Bally »

I know nothing of such things... however, I'm going to recommend a memory stick. They're portable, cheap and good ones these days can hold over 2Gb of data. That's more than my first desktop's hard drive!
peaks

Post by peaks »

Like Bally, I recommend a memory stick. I have a 2GB and...a 16GB one *straightens collar*. 2GB from around £5. Some transfer files to and from the computer faster than others, if speed is an issue.

If you want to link people to your files (you can keep stuff private too...but ^ memory sticks, memory sticks!), I use box.net. But the free account only offers 1gb storage and 25mb file limit for uploads. I have used it to store and share piano compositions with the internet. I'm used to being linked to box.net by other musicians. There are no adverts, that's why I like it, really. And the site is well designed.
"You know what, this is important. You remember this: I used to be cool" ~Keith Mars
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Bally wrote:I know nothing of such things... however, I'm going to recommend a memory stick. They're portable, cheap and good ones these days can hold over 2Gb of data. That's more than my first desktop's hard drive!
Yeah, got one. It's not very big though. And buying a new one costs money! Grrrr bah humbug.
mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Dropbox! It is great! Fast, reliable, all-knowing, candy-filled, beer-battered, looks good in underwear, saucy. If you sign up I get free stuff, but I don't really need the free stuff- this is just me getting out the word. But the free stuff is nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE0MzI1Nzg5

Dropbox has become indispensable, as I have frequent need of syncing files between multiple computers in differing far off places. It is really good at that. But it also works for straight up online storage, 2 GB for free to start with paid upgrades if you want 'em. Also, referral incentives of 1/2 gig. So check it out, won't you?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Did anyone else here experience a frisson of paranoia on first learning of this new online storage game? I am not normally prone to concern over online privacy--I use Mr. Internet for banking and credit card purchases without a second thought--but from the first commercial I saw for one of these joints, I thought, "What a great way to gain access to everyone's deepest, darkest secrets!" That at least three different providers of online storage appeared at almost the same moment further fueled my skepticism. Am I alone in my mistrust?
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

mayhem wrote:Dropbox! It is great! Fast, reliable, all-knowing, candy-filled, beer-battered, looks good in underwear, saucy. If you sign up I get free stuff, but I don't really need the free stuff- this is just me getting out the word. But the free stuff is nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE0MzI1Nzg5

Dropbox has become indispensable, as I have frequent need of syncing files between multiple computers in differing far off places. It is really good at that. But it also works for straight up online storage, 2 GB for free to start with paid upgrades if you want 'em. Also, referral incentives of 1/2 gig. So check it out, won't you?
I may just do that, but currently facebook is having a freakout and claiming my account is showing suspicious activity and making me change my password every time I log in, which is giving me the fear about doing ANYTHING online. I've reported it but nothing concrete back yet. WTF??! Sob.