Need computer printer advice, please

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
mouse

Need computer printer advice, please

Post by mouse »

My printer is sputtering to the end of it's life (it's been a good printer, I will miss it). I need a new printer. I am partial to HP. I am interested in these new-fangled wireless printers, so I can print straight from my laptop. My question is this: Would I also be able to hook the desktop computer up to the same wireless printer so they can share it?

Thanks
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
Pataouet

Re: Need computer printer advice, please

Post by Pataouet »

I have not the slightest idea but I can provide [hug]s ;)
Techboy

Post by Techboy »

mouse wrote:My printer is sputtering to the end of it's life (it's been a good printer, I will miss it). I need a new printer. I am partial to HP. I am interested in these new-fangled wireless printers, so I can print straight from my laptop. My question is this: Would I also be able to hook the desktop computer up to the same wireless printer so they can share it?

Thanks
I'll try not to overwhelm you with information. Short answer is, yes it will work. But, how are you serving up the wireless? Through a wireless router (so your laptop can get on the web without plugging in, etc)? If so, then the wireless printer will talk to both laptop and desktop. If you don't have a wireless router, then you would need to buy a wireless card for the deskstop, and that can get a little complex.

Here are some other things to consider:

What is the wireless medium - IR or RF (infra red or radio frequency)
IR Pros and Cons:
Pros:
Simple to set up
relativly secure (people on the street aren't going to intercept the signal)
some laptops have ir transmitters installed

Cons:
Signal needs to be a direct line of site - if someone walks into the room and breaks the beam, you will lose connection
Slower than RF
not all laptops have an ir transmitter (so you would have to buy one)

RF Pros and Cons:
Pros:
most of the time, simple to set up
Faster communication speeds
does not need to be line of site
most laptops have a wireless card integrated with the system
Can connect to a wireless router to allow wired computers access to the device, too

Cons:
Not as secure by default (some one on the street may "steal" the signal) - can be countered
suspetable to interference from cordless phones, metal in walls, distance from device

So, clear as mud?
From the mind of the official Techboy (R) of the Temporary forums
BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

I just bought the Lexmark x6675 Wireless All-in-One.

It pretty much rocks. I connected it via my router and so far so good in terms of connectivity. I have a desktop wired to my wireless router in a different room from the printer, and various laptops doing the wireless thing. So far I haven't experienced any lack of signal nor was it particularly hard to install.

The model itself isn't what you'd consider speedy in terms of actual printing, but its not a big deal considering I'll probably only be printing travel directions, random web info, and the occasional character sheet. Best of all, I got it for $91 and free shipping over at Buy.com.

Hope this helps.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Thanks, guys. :D

DF ended up offering me his old printer for free, so I thought I wouldn't have to use this advice quite yet, but now that printer's acting up, so I'm going to go ahead and buy a new, wireless one. If I'm understanding correctly, I can print from my wired computer by: the wired computer will talk to my wireless router, which will in turn tell my printer to print.

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

Post by Guest »

That sounds right. It's the same setup I use, and works very well. Good luck!
mouse

Post by mouse »

Thank you, Mystery Guest!

talula

Post by talula »

I'm going to get a printer at work that doesn't need ink. It's 'thermal.' I think it's from the future.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Sweeeeeeeet.

BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

talula wrote:I'm going to get a printer at work that doesn't need ink. It's 'thermal.' I think it's from the future.
Or the past... maybe thats how they made the Shroud of Turin...