Apple crisp

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Nerdgirl

Apple crisp

Post by Nerdgirl »

I made THE BEST apple crisp on the weekend. I had been hoping to find a good recipe in my old standby, Joy of Cooking, but they seem to have different ideas about what makes a crisp/crumble/whatever you wanna call it. In my opinion, a proper crisp needs some oatmeal in the topping. What does apple crisp mean to you? If you respond, I'll post my newly-invented best recipe for crisp ever...

I miss you guys. I haven't been coming here much since the sad demise of Testing (and, y'know, work has been inSANE). [hug]
Podgy

Re: Apple crisp

Post by Podgy »

Definitely, oatmeal/granola. And I like a graham cracker crust for the bottom. In-season spy apples are my first choice for the apples, but Fred likes everything super sweet so he prefers that I use red delicious.

I've missed you too, been wondering how you're doing. [hug]
bettie

Post by bettie »

I just made an apple/blueberry crumble yesterday. I made it up, and the topping definitely had oatmeal in it (it was basically wheat flour, oats, butter, and sugar). I skipped the bottom crust because I didn't feel like making one.
Cazzle

Post by Cazzle »

Yay crumble! Is oatmeal the same thing as rolled oats? Because that's what I use. I agree, it isn't a proper crumble without oats. They really add to the crunchiness, it's a thing of beauty.

Bottom crust? This is a new and strange concept to me. I just chuck it straight into the bowl/dish and sprinkle the crumble on top.

The real argument of course is do you serve it with cream or custard?
MdmeAlbertine

Post by MdmeAlbertine »

For me, apple crisp is incomplete without cheese.
BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

Free sample or it didn't happen... :|
JupiterAmy

Post by JupiterAmy »

Apple crisp is my second favorite dessert food after pumpkin pie. But, um. I use butter crumbs. Not oatmeal. Not that I have anything against oatmeal. I am, in fact, immensely fond of it. But never the twain should meet.
" I'm a screw-up, and I plan to be a screw-up until my late twenties, maybe even my early thirties. "
bettie

Post by bettie »

MdmeAlbertine wrote:For me, apple crisp is incomplete without cheese.
I think you should know that after I read this I was compelled to eat a huge block of cheddar cheese.
Nerdgirl

Post by Nerdgirl »

Yet more variations! Bottom crust? Cheese? Wacky!

For me, the fruit goes straight on the bottom. I peeled and sliced about 10 apples (Macintoshes this time, though Spys are best) and mixed them with cinnamon and about 1/3 cup of brown sugar. The topping was the new part - crispiest ever. All measurements are approximate.

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
cinnamon to taste

Chop butter into dry ingredients until it's in small (pea-sized) pieces. Don't overmix. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Mmm!
mgan

Post by mgan »

Nerdgirl wrote:Yet more variations! Bottom crust? Cheese? Wacky!

For me, the fruit goes straight on the bottom. I peeled and sliced about 10 apples (Macintoshes this time, though Spys are best) and mixed them with cinnamon and about 1/3 cup of brown sugar. The topping was the new part - crispiest ever. All measurements are approximate.

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
cinnamon to taste

Chop butter into dry ingredients until it's in small (pea-sized) pieces. Don't overmix. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Mmm!
That's about what I use. My Fannie Farmer also has (to me) a strange topping. I also add some cinnamon to the tossed apples.