What's the word?

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Ghost

What's the word?

Post by Ghost »

What word is defined as believing that multiple deities exist, but the followers only worship one?

For example, early Jews believed that Baal and other gods existed, but God was their god.
X
MenleyNin

Re: What's the word?

Post by MenleyNin »

I believe that's monolatrism, but it may be henotheism. I can never remember what the difference between the two is, since they're closely related. (In my head, at least.)
Drop Edge of Yonder
When I bit into it, I could hear the ocean.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Thank you!
X
mgan

Post by mgan »

Oh! Word Jeopardy!

This word means your panties or unders have bad elastic and no longer stay up around your hips, but rather fall down as you are walking to bunch up under your pants (slacks).
mouse

Post by mouse »

mgan wrote:Oh! Word Jeopardy!

This word means your panties or unders have bad elastic and no longer stay up around your hips, but rather fall down as you are walking to bunch up under your pants (slacks).
What are droopy drawers, Alex?
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Ghost wrote:What word is defined as believing that multiple deities exist, but the followers only worship one?

For example, early Jews believed that Baal and other gods existed, but God was their god.
My brain is totally fried. I've spent all day trying to teach small children what a verb is. I feel their pain so much! Their wee faces when they look up at me, DESPERATE to please me but so not really understanding.

Uhhhh ....... I don't know the answer. *chews pen*
JupiterAmy

Post by JupiterAmy »

Use your words, Helene! Use your words!
" I'm a screw-up, and I plan to be a screw-up until my late twenties, maybe even my early thirties. "
mgan

Post by mgan »

Lucretia wrote:I've spent all day trying to teach small children what a verb is.

I still have to teach this to them in first year uni. I talk a whole lot about "somebody is doing something" and if either is missing you've written a fragment.
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

JupiterAmy wrote:Use your words, Helene! Use your words!
I got them to act out verbs. It was so awesome. And really cute.
olthar

Post by olthar »

Lucretia wrote: I've spent all day trying to teach small children what a verb is.
I've been having this problem with college seniors. They also seem to have a difficult time with nouns.