Could someone please help with internet/network problem?

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
mouse

Could someone please help with internet/network problem?

Post by mouse »

Hi, I'm hoping that some of you lovely people who know more about network connections can help me with this problem.

The setup: I have high-speed cable internet. The cable goes into a wireless router, and I have set up wireless network connections to both my son's desktop pc, and my laptop.

The problem: In the past week or so, I have been experiencing repeated loss of internet on my laptop. I will the on the web, and when I either refresh a page or try to go to a new page, I get the "page not available" message. Then when I go to check my network connection, it does not even come up as an option. I know I didn't explain that well, so here's a screencap. I'm in an apartment complex, so I assume those other two that show up are some neighbors' connections.

When this happens, I have tried unplugging my router and also having a reset sent from my cable company. Neither helps. But if I wait anywhere from a few minutes to enough minutes to piss me off, my network then appears and the computer connects itself to it. This happens at least a couple times a day, sometimes many times a day.

A couple of times, my own network DID come up with the others, but gave this message: "The capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network." I don't know what that means!

A few more things:
  • *This laptop worked great with this network set up for over a year.
    *My router died a couple of months ago, and I replaced it with the same model that I'd previously used.
    *When I lose internet, the desktop computer does NOT lose it.
If anyone can help me resolve this, I would be so grateful. If you need any more details, please ask.
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
peaks.

Re: Could someone please help with internet/network problem?

Post by peaks. »

A couple of times, my own network DID come up with the others, but gave this message: "The capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network." I don't know what that means!
What requirements? unhelpful message.

The signal being generated from your laptop's network adapter must be fine if it picks up the signal of your neighbours routers. Still, If your network adapter's inbuilt into your laptop, there's usually a switch for wireless you can physically flick off and on again (similar to that old turn the router on and off trick....) Worth a try :D. If you're on windows, right click on the network connection icon, and click repair.

"Be adventurous, human. Connect to these unsecured networks!" ~ wez

Is your network secure?

I wouldn't have thought the network adapters drivers need updating or reinstalling if it was working with the same router before, but it's an option... (Not pretending to have a clue, although I have tended to solve my computer problems somehow...with OCD persistence...)

you could buy another network adapter to plug into your laptop via usb and turn your current one off? (last resort option, maybe)

You've replaced the broken router with the same model. The default settings of the new router could be different to the old one, despite being the same model. Your new router could have updated firmware? Check through some settings and compare to mine, note the differences (there probably won't be any). Don't alter anything yet, since your desktop is working properly:

My network is set to enable SSID broadcast. Check if this is enabled on your router settings (type 198.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser, I assume...).
SSID Broadcast
A feature of wireless networking is the ability for a wireless network adapter in a computer to look for an existing wireless network automatically. This is done by setting the card's SSID setting to "ANY". Your Router is capable of blocking this "random" searching for a network. If you disable the "SSID Broadcast" feature, the only way a computer can join the network is by setting the computer's SSID to the specific name of the network. Be sure that you know your SSID (network name) before enabling this feature. By turning off the broadcast of the SSID, your network will not appear in a site survey. Site Survey is a feature of many wireless network adapters on the market today. It will scan the "air" for any available network and allow the computer to select the network from the site survey. Turning off the broadcast of the SSID will help increase security.

Also in wireless settings of my router “wireless mode” is set to "11b+11g" rather than either or.

There's a list of IP addresses that last connected to the router. My router gives an option to fix an IP that's listed. If your router has the same option, you could try fix, as in making your laptop a fixed association. CAUTION: I've never done this. This could stop your laptop from disappearing from the network randomly. Not sure, though!
Note: Only clients that have requested an IP address since the Router's last reboot and fixed associations are displayed in this list. Check Fix to fix an existing address, or click New to allocate an IP address to a MAC address.

My router also has a "restrict client IP filter" which blocks computers on the network at certain times of day. Check your router isn't blocking you at certain times. Mine is switched off.
Client IP Filters
The Router can be configured to restrict access to the Internet, e-mail or other network services at specific days and times. Restriction can be set for a single computer, a range of computers, or multiple computers.

MAC Address Filtering
The MAC Address Filter is a powerful security feature that allows you to specify which wireless computers are allowed on the network. By setting the access rule to 'allow' any wireless computer attempting to access the network that is not specified in the filter list will be denied access. When you enable this feature, you must enter the MAC address of each client on your network to allow network access to each or copy the MAC address by selecting the name of the computer from the "DHCP Client List". By setting the access rule to 'deny', you can block specific wireless computers from accessing the network by adding them to the filter list. To enable this feature, select "Enable". Next, click "Apply" to save the settings.

I have universal plug and played switched on
Universal Plug and Play
Universal Plug & Play is a technology that offers seamless operation of voice messaging, video messaging, games, and other applications that are Universal Plug & Play compliant. Some applications require the Router's firewall to be configured in a specific way to operate properly. This usually requires opening TCP and UDP ports and in some instances setting trigger ports. An application that is Universal Plug & Play compliant has the ability to communicate with the Router, basically "telling" the Router which way it needs the firewall configured. The Router ships with the Universal Plug & Play feature disabled. If you are using any applications that are Universal Plug & Play compliant, and wish to take advantage of the Universal Plug & Play features, you can enable the Universal Plug & Play feature. Simply select "ON" in the "Universal Plug and Play" section of the Advanced page. Click "Apply" to save the change.
Um, it could be something else entirely, like a trojan [shrug]. If you're OS is windows, first download malwarebytes, free version, and do a complete scan. That's cured my 'puter a few times. All this stuff scares me. Too many settings! Calling out a computer technician is the safest bet...or befriend a 'puter geek who's local and free.... it could fix itself in a week.

*looks down* Aaaaw, to think a lapcat can coexist with a laptop peacefully. Would be nice to have more room to type, though.

I hope a Wder can fix your problem with a quick fix! *tumbleweed*
mouse

Post by mouse »

My head is swirling from all the information you've provided! Thank you. :D

But I just need to say, I cannot BELIEVE that Wez suggested I get into one of my neighbors' IPs. :shock: Wez is such a badass!

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

peaks.

Post by peaks. »

My heads much clearer now. That information has no place in ones head... Good luck with it! LOL *hug*

Badass. *nods* He approves.

Wez has run outside. Woot. Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep (yes, he controls me)
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ok, it's happening more frequently, now, and for longer durations. I really need some help with this, as I am about to be driven frigging bat shit crazy over this.

Now I am sometimes getting this message, too.

Can someone please help guide me as to how to check that my network settings match my router settings?

peaks.

Post by peaks. »

The first part of the message suggests you're trying to connect to a non broadcast network, but it was working before. You setup wireless, it worked for ages, and the new router (same model) worked for a couple of months, right?! Without being in front of your laptop, I’ll struggle to help with the router settings and if you haven’t altered anything, there’s no reason to tinker.

Have you tried malwarebytes yet? I had a vundo trojan that caused some very odd behaviour on my computer, including the net. Malwarebytes cured everything. Just sayin’.
Can someone please help guide me as to how to check that my network settings match my router settings?
No. Sorry. You can match up some of the details by clicking on "Wireless Network Connection #X" icon > support > details, and compare those details to your router. I can give you some other options/areas to explore that might help. As you can see, I'm not an expert, but I'm also not retarded. "Not retarded, not an expert", it's on the résumé! :oops:

Okay, I’m using xp. If you’re using vista, I assume there’s a similar process to this:

Go to network connections > right click on the wireless network connection icon (the icon isn't shown in the screenshot I linked to, but I'm confident you've done this before) > click properties. On the general page > under "connect using" your network adaptor is listed. Click configure to look at the settings of your network adaptor. Under device status, check if there's a message for if this is functioning properly next time you have an internet blackout.
There's the option to troubleshoot (might be as helpful as windows network diagnostics... Haha). There's also an advanced tab for loads of settings I don't understand yet. All my settings are set to disable, "32" *nods*, and preamble mode is set to auto. Errr, yes!

In network connections, if you've already tried repair, disable your "network wireless connection #x". Right click on the icon > disable. Then re-enable. :?

You could system restore to the point when everything was working?

Perhaps disable your current wireless network connection on windows, but this time create a new one with windows wireless network setup wizard.

If you're using windows firewall, you could try restoring to default settings in case it's fucking with your internet connection. I'm not familiar with the advanced settings of windows firewall (I use a better firewall). Could be an issue with your firewall.

I use iobit’s free advanced system care for windows to help maintain windows and used a utility within that called internet booster to optimise speed. Obviously speed isn’t driving you “frigging bat shit crazy”, but it goes through the settings of your browser and windows and alters, errr, shit! Could fix some conflicts and stop the internet disconnecting [shrug] Sidenote: It has boosted my internet speed, no problems. And generally the whole program appears safe, but haven’t tested it with vista [shrug] .

Have you asked for assistance on other forums, like computing sites, since this forum is, you know, a little dead. Or are you hoping that WDers like Rob and BigEvil will ride in to the rescue. I'm hoping! Is The Boy helping?
starshine

Post by starshine »

Fire bad. Tree pretty.
Techboy

Post by Techboy »

Mouse - seeing as you are online as i write this, hopefully you're still there and I'm not on the 12 minute lag.

What type of router? Do you have PSK, WEP, or open set up?

A couple of things to look at -

One of your neighbors has a very strong signal - I would suggest to try a different channel (like channel 6 or 11). They may be conflicting with the signal from your router.

Do you have a cordless phone that you didn't have before, and is it in the 2.4 GHz frequency range (usually says on the base somewhere)?

Some brands (Netgear and DLink) have trouble with encryption in busy or croweded environments.

This is a wireless problem, so if your desktop is wired into the router, then you wouldn't see problems.

The main thing to look at, what has changed from the time that it worked reliably.

-Techboy
From the mind of the official Techboy (R) of the Temporary forums
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

There are a few possibilities as to why you're having problems now, Techboy has covered some of them.

- Neighbor's router hosing down your signal.

- Your or neighbor's wireless phone.

- Other kind of interference. (like other wireless devices: wireless cam etc...)

- Your router is going bad (despite being new)

- Your laptop's wi-fi is going bad.

Your laptop's configuration is likely to be fine since it works most of the time. You might try to change your router's channel though.

About your router: the fact that it is the same model of router as your old one does not mean that it 100% the same , the firmware (the software that it runs) might be another version. And to get more technical, the hardware (the electronics inside) of it might be different too even if using the same model name.
peaks.

Post by peaks. »

*Looks up*

Errr, what starshine said!