Buffy Back WITHOUT Joss? Ent. Weekly & Hollywood Reporter

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Sarah

Re: Buffy Back WITHOUT Joss? Ent. Weekly & Hollywood Reporter

Post by Sarah »

peaks wrote:(. . . I felt compelled to use the word schlocky, even if the word is naughty. Is it? ...)
Nope.
mgan

Post by mgan »

If that Joe Sweeden guy isn't involved... fuggadaboutit
peaks

Post by peaks »

Sarah wrote:
peaks wrote:(. . . I felt compelled to use the word schlocky, even if the word is naughty. Is it? ...)
Nope.
Thanks, that's a relief [halo]

WTF sarah? You deleted my idol and replaced him with three dots...

I read this:
Our Living Language: A good number of English words borrowed from Yiddish (a variety of German with an admixture of Hebrew and Slavic elements) are recognizably of foreign extraction because they begin with sound combinations (shl-, shm-, shn-) not found at the beginnings of native English words. Schlock is such a word; it is descended from a Middle High German word for a hit or blow, and thus came to refer to damaged merchandise, and then to merchandise of poor quality. Other words beginning with this and similar sound combinations are Yiddish also: schlep, schlemiel, schmooze, schmuck, and schnoz. These words may not be equally common in all regions of the United States; they are most frequently heard in areas with sizable Jewish populations that either speak Yiddish or are descended from Yiddish speakers, such as New York City. Of course, not all Yiddish words borrowed into English begin with the sound (sh); one need only think of bagel, lox, blintz, nosh, meshugga, and kibbitz to get a feeling for the variety of words that Yiddish-speaking Jews brought with them to America.
I knew of schmuck, schmooze, schnoz, bagel, and now...schlock (cheers ASH)

A blintz sounds disgusting. Thumbs down for cottage cheese. Okay, let's shove the buffy movie to one side for a sec. Some positive news:

ASH won't let the ripper series die. Yay!
"You know what, this is important. You remember this: I used to be cool" ~Keith Mars
olthar

Post by olthar »

coming from someone who doesn't like cheese, blintzes are awesome. Though I do tend to prefer potato or apple to cheese ones.

oh, and ASH is Uther?! I need to watch that show now.
peaks

Post by peaks »

Oh, apple ones.

When (if) we return to the real WD, I'll be scrambling for the first king uthur/ASH profile pic *nods*
"You know what, this is important. You remember this: I used to be cool" ~Keith Mars
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

peaks wrote:WTF sarah? You deleted my idol and replaced him with three dots...
Merely isolating the text to which I was responding. No offense to Mr. Head intended. Indeed, Giles was always my fave, and when I saw the ad for Merlin for the first time last night, I was delighted to see he's in it. For some reason, though, I thought he was going to be Merlin, and I sort of wish he were. But I'll take Uther.

In conclusion, a fresh cheese blintz with blueberry sauce (or just sprinkled with cinnamon sugar) is a thing of beauty.