Well, it's over and Gandalf, don't look at this post.

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Ghost

Well, it's over and Gandalf, don't look at this post.

Post by Ghost »

What did you think?
Last edited by Ghost on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
X
MenleyNin

Re: Well, it's over

Post by MenleyNin »

What's over? Is the end of the world here?

Dammit. I haven't even bought underpants* yet.

ETA:

(I meant "panties." I would never use the term "underpants" unless I was pressed for time and thought global annihilation was imminent. This post made me panic.)
Last edited by MenleyNin on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drop Edge of Yonder
When I bit into it, I could hear the ocean.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

If this is about BSG, please put it in the title so that I know not to look at this post!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Don't look at this post.
X
Julia

Re: Well, it's over and Gandalf, don't look at this post.

Post by Julia »

Is it safe? Is Gandalf not looking now?

I thought it was a decent ending. Not "All Good Things" awesome- just decent. I liked the wrapping up of the Roslin/Adama story, as well as the Baltar/Caprica 6 story. I even like the all-drone basestar sailing off on it's own. But I have a few issues with a couple of the other major story lines.

1- Starbuck's 'journey ending' was a total cop-out! I'd have liked it better if she had been the first hybrid (from Daniel and some human) and come back thru some lost resurrection technology on the first Earth they found. They could have wrapped up the loose ends THAT would have caused neatly enough and NOT have Starbuck's end be so... what it was.
2- No way in hell are 40,000 people just going to abandon technology like that to run off in small groups to hunt mastodons and get eaten by saber-tooth tigers! We can barely get folks away from thier cellphone for five frakking minutes(!), so tossing it all aside forever and shooting the fleet into the sun (even if they DID do it awesomely by playing the original theme music!!)... not gonna happen.
3- And my last gripe, and believe me it's the worst- What they couldn't find a way to show some gratuitous 8 and 6 near-nudity to fuel my Grace and Tricia multiplicity orgy fantasies? Not even a smidge of the old naked ballet practice? Jeez- that's just not the BSG I came to know and lust for each week.

But at least it was an actual ending (and again, a decent one), unlike the raw deal some other sci-fi (the genre not the channel) shows get. *sniff* River Tam- I DO so miss your morbid and creepifyin' ways. :(
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Julia wrote:Is it safe? Is Gandalf not looking now?

Yeah, I hated the way they ended things with Starbuck. The trailers kept saying that we would know all the answers, but that wasn't answered. The problem I have with your solution is that I was under the impression that this wasn't "Earth", only a habital planet that they decided was Earth. I didn't like the fact that the greatest scifi story ended up being explained as, "God did it" either.

The theory I had since about the second episode was that they were all Cylons. The Cylons won the first war and committed genocide. Later, they came across the legend of Earth and the 13th tribe. Since they were still just machines, they didn't know if this was a historical fact or just a legend like Atlantis. So they tried to find it, but there wasn't enough information for the computer brain to use, so they created the skinjobs and started a program with skinjobs portraying humans, going from Kobal to Caprica, then hopefully Earth. The program evolved each time it ran, but still wasn't successful in finding Earth. This would explain the "this has all happened before and will happen again" part of the religion, and would explain what was going on pretty well.

This would leave 3 possible endings. First and most likely, they don't find Earth, they all realize who they are, have to deal with the consequences, and the program restarts. Second, they find Earth and attack. Finally, they find Earth, but do to a miscalculation is size, the entire fleet gets swallowed by a small dog, or has that been done?
X
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I just half-rewatched/half-skimmed the final episode. The experience confirmed two things: (1) I didn't like it very much; (2) I didn't the entire series all that much, either. A lot of sound and fury that claimed to signify something but in the end didn't. It's not that I expect my sci fi (speaking of which, isn't it stupid that the Sci Fi channel is changing its name to Syfy?) to have meaning, but when it makes a big fuss about having it, I want it to deliver. And, if possible, I like it to do so with less soap opera, better acting (Katee Sackhoff, I'm looking at you), and fewer dei ex machina.

In conclusion, in my view, BSG was the bunk. Or, if you prefer, while Julia laments that it literally wore too many clothes, I accuse it of metaphorically wearing none.

edited to change "Julie" to "Julia" (a thousand apologies for the error, by the way: it arose because there's a Julie on another board I favor who has a strong and amusing voice there; the mistake was thus a kind of compliment, really.)
Last edited by Sarah on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Well, that was a disappointment.

*spoilers*

The whole religious metaphor thing seemed really ridiculous and the way the Starbuck plotline was wrapped up was really cheating. I also didn't like that the whole thing had this anti-technology message. Originally I didn't agree with the critics who hated the show because it really seemed like it was trying to do something with the serialised storytelling. Now I'm starting to understand critiques like this-http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/ ... litics.php one.

Anyways, at least they wrapped up the whole President Roslin/Commander Adama relationship well.
JupiterAmy

Post by JupiterAmy »

Sourdust wrote:Now I'm starting to understand critiques like this-http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/ ... litics.php one.
That was interesting to read considering that in a feminist group I read, someone who recently started watching BSG said she was especially impressed by the way they handled the issue of rape: as a weapon of war, as an instrument of power. She also noted that it was perpetrated by a woman (Caine) against a woman (Gina). It would have been interesting if these articles had addressed that.

Also, I remember after that terrible episode about the hooker ship, Jacob at TWoP went on this whole thing about how this society can't be gender-blind if it has prostitution.

I'm conflicted about these things, honestly.
" I'm a screw-up, and I plan to be a screw-up until my late twenties, maybe even my early thirties. "
JupiterAmy

Post by JupiterAmy »

Also:

I liked everything (even Baltar's speech about God, which I seem to be alone on), until they got to Earth, where I pretty much hated everything in between weeping over the end of The Bill And Laura Show.
" I'm a screw-up, and I plan to be a screw-up until my late twenties, maybe even my early thirties. "