Help! Beef Roast!

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
BigEvil

Help! Beef Roast!

Post by BigEvil »

So I've made many a roast before, but never have I had to tackle a 14lb. top sirloin monster. I have to make it tomorrow.

While I have my own crazy ideas, does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they'd like to share with me that could be useful? Recipes? Techniques?

Currently I am thinking of dry rubbing it, searing it in a roasting pan and baking it at a low-ish temp (250F). I also plan to make Au jus from the drippings.

Thanks!
mouse

Re: Help! Beef Roast!

Post by mouse »

Ok, so what time should I be there for dinner?
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
costello_girl

Post by costello_girl »

14 lbs???? Holy Mary Mother of God!

I swear by Julia. That is, when I am not swearing by the Holy Virgin. I guess in this case, I am swearing by the Holy Child. ;) I am assuming this is a boneless cut of beef? If so, she recommends trimming the fat to 1/8 of an inch on the top length of the cut. Rub oil over the exposed parts of the meat. Arrange fat side up in a shallow, rather narrow roasting pan.

Roast at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn the thermostat down to 350. Baste several times during cooking. After 45 minutes, strew a large sliced onion in the bottom of the pan and salt the meat.

The time of roasting depends on the dimensions of the cut, not the weight. A top loin measuring 5 1/2-6 inches wide and 3 1/2 high will take 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. Julia recommends 125 degrees for medium rare.

I have used this recipe very successfully.

Also, what Mouse said.
fishboots

Post by fishboots »

Sous vide at 140°F for two days then broil to finish I mean obviously.
BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

It is indeed boneless. And it is definitely the dimensions of a big, thick textbook. Sorry don't have it infront of me to measure.

What about a rub and searing?
BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

Hehe... thats Saurbroten territory n'est-ce pas?

EDIT: Nevermind... I got my terms jibbered.
bettie

Post by bettie »

I have no idea but I don't see how your plan could possibly go wrong. What sort of rub did you have in mind? Do you have a meat thermometer so you can check for doneness?
mouse

Post by mouse »

fishboots wrote:Sous vide at 140°F for two days then broil to finish I mean obviously.
Fishboots, you're not usually plural, are you?
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
MdmeAlbertine

Post by MdmeAlbertine »

I swear by those baking bags. I stick in some water, carrots, onions and celery along with seasonings (when I'm lazy, I just use a package of onion soup mix), seal up the bag and let it cook.
BigEvil

Post by BigEvil »

I do have a probe thermometer with alarm.

As for rub... I was thinking salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, dry oregano, and maybe some red pepper flakes. Oh and probably use Worstershire as the adhesive.