Recommend A Christmas Carol?

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
mouse

Recommend A Christmas Carol?

Post by mouse »

The Boy has just read A Christmas Carol in school. He'd like to see a movie version, but I don't know which one to choose. I know there are eleventy million versions out there. I'd like to find one that is pretty much true to the original story, and well done, of course. Any recommendations? Thanks

Edit: I've been reading a lot of reviews on Amazon, and it seems my two best options are the 1951 version starring Alistair Sim, and the 1984 version starring George C. Scott. Does anyone prefer one over the other?
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
Techboy

Re: Recommend A Christmas Carol?

Post by Techboy »

mouse wrote:The Boy has just read A Christmas Carol in school. He'd like to see a movie version, but I don't know which one to choose.
What's the age? I'm thinking of "Scrooged" with Bill Murry - not Dicken's style, but the form is very true to the original.
From the mind of the official Techboy (R) of the Temporary forums
mouse

Post by mouse »

He's 12.

He's just read the book and wants a version more true to the book.

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

Cazzle

Post by Cazzle »

Last year the Alastair Sim version was broadcast on Christmas Day, which I really enjoyed, so I'd vote for that one.

However, for me, the most Christmassy version will always be The Muppet Christmas Carol. It is my own personal tradition to wrap presents on Christmas Eve while watching this movie. (Also, by this point in time, Steve Whitmire had taken over as Kermit, and I LOVE the guy. One of his previously best-known roles is Bean the bunny, who does pop up briefly in the movie, fuelling my fangirly squee.)
That said, it's probably not as close to the book - I know that the sister is removed in favour of a lover, and we don't meet Ignorance and Want. But, you know. MUPPETS. :-D

I also used to enjoy this version but I can't remember how faithful it is:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085936/
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would enjoy the Muppet one, but first I think we want to see more 'true' version. With humans. ;)

But I love your tradition. My own tradition is listening to (and singing and dancing to) the John Denver and the Muppets A Christmas Together album, while decorating the Christmas tree. :D Muppets + Christmas = [love]

MenleyNin

Post by MenleyNin »

TWoP has exactly what you're looking for right here.
Drop Edge of Yonder
When I bit into it, I could hear the ocean.
costello_girl

Post by costello_girl »

My favourite has always been "O Holy Night"*.

What? Oh.

Never mind.

*Especially the Cartman version.
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

mouse wrote:The Boy has just read A Christmas Carol in school. He'd like to see a movie version, but I don't know which one to choose. I know there are eleventy million versions out there. I'd like to find one that is pretty much true to the original story, and well done, of course. Any recommendations? Thanks

Edit: I've been reading a lot of reviews on Amazon, and it seems my two best options are the 1951 version starring Alistair Sim, and the 1984 version starring George C. Scott. Does anyone prefer one over the other?
I'd start with the 1951 version. What an intelligent young man!
Bob

Post by Bob »

costello_girl wrote:My favourite has always been "O Holy Night"*.

What? Oh.

Never mind.

*Especially the Cartman version.
Yes!! That ones hilarious! 'Jesus was born and so I get preeesents, thank youuuuuu jesus for beeeeing booooorn.' :D
Sam_Spade

Post by Sam_Spade »

I too would reccomend the Alistair Sim version for the lad.....and the Muppet version for you. :mrgreen:
When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.

Sam Spade to Joel Cairo ~ The Maltese Falcon.