OBAMA WON!!!

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Callie

Re: OBAMA WON!!!

Post by Callie »

I just realised something. What is "Avenue Q" going to sing about now, in the song "For Now"? Their Bush joke in that is going to be redundant as of January...

[ponder]
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Callie wrote:I just realised something. What is "Avenue Q" going to sing about now, in the song "For Now"? Their Bush joke in that is going to be redundant as of January...

[ponder]
Having gone to see it again last Thursday, I can say with some authority that they are still singing "George Bush" (which got quite a laugh!), at least for now. Not sure what they'll sing after January though.
CassyLee

Post by CassyLee »

But unless we have a healthy dose of scepticism we risk creating an idol of him.
I don't mind a healthy dose of scepticism when viewing any public official, but I don't think paranoid & hysterical comparisons of proposed expansions of current civic programs to Hitler qualifies as scepticism (or valid or interesting debate arguments.)
Callie

Post by Callie »

CassyLee wrote:
But unless we have a healthy dose of scepticism we risk creating an idol of him.
I don't mind a healthy dose of scepticism when viewing any public official, but I don't think paranoid & hysterical comparisons of proposed expansions of current civic programs to Hitler qualifies as scepticism (or valid or interesting debate arguments.)
As with most cases like this, it's funny how the ones to mention idol and messiah and stuff are the ones cautioning we shouldn't do call Obama that. If you survey the posts of everyone else, we're all just going with a simple "yay!". And a party.

'cos that's what we do best, right Cassy? :D Party!

ETA - this post was sponsored by the second glass of white wine I'm drinking, and which given my sleep record the last 10 days, will probably go right to my head. Eh, oh well.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I don't see it with the people on the WD, but I have seen people IRL that seem to think Obama is the second coming. A lot of people are getting carried away with the hero worship and are going to be surprised when they realize that he is just another politician.
X
mouse

Post by mouse »

When I started this post, I can assure you all that I had no illusions of Obama being a messiah or a miracle cure for the country. And I sincerely doubt that anyone else on this board did, either. But I do believe he is going to do a much, much better job of helping and leading this country than McCain and his little Maverick would have. And so the news of Obama's victory was certainly cause for celebration!

[dance]

Thank goodness there was a 'voice of reason' to come tell us all how stupid we are to be happy about it. Boy, won't we feel silly when Obama turns out to be the Antichrist! :roll:

[sarcasm]
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
Fuchsia

Post by Fuchsia »

That's right, and I'm sure our 'voice of reason'/'Devil's advocate' was so dedicated to nurturing balanced arguments across the web that, whenever he came across anti-Obama viewpoints being voiced without dissent on libertarian boards he was certain to jump in there and argue the other side. Because it's all about nurturing debate and making sure there isn't an echo chamber, and nothing at all to do with point-scoring.
Callie

Post by Callie »

mouse wrote:Boy, won't we feel silly when Obama turns out to be the Antichrist! :roll:

[sarcasm]
's OK, a man outside the Tube station this morning was promising Jesus would save us from hellfire.

Come over to my corner of London, if Obama does turn out to be the Antichrist, Jesus will be along tout suite to sort him out.

And in East London, that really does mean something ;-)
mouse

Post by mouse »

Callie wrote:
mouse wrote:Boy, won't we feel silly when Obama turns out to be the Antichrist! :roll:

[sarcasm]
's OK, a man outside the Tube station this morning was promising Jesus would save us from hellfire.

Come over to my corner of London, if Obama does turn out to be the Antichrist, Jesus will be along tout suite to sort him out.

And in East London, that really does mean something ;-)
Sweet. :D
"The massage area. Why? To increase the nudity." ~Joss Whedon

"It's a miraculous thing, the hoohoo. I once saw a woman fit one of those minicars full of clowns in her hoohoo." ~Ghost

"Two by two, boobs of blue." ~MenleyNin
Stussy88

Post by Stussy88 »

JupiterAmy wrote:
Stussy88 wrote:I also liked the imagery of her with a rifle, but I won't gross you with the obvious reasons!
You're a virgin, aren't you?
No, in fact, to my absolute joy and delight, I'm about to be a father :D for the first time