Advice politely requested, please

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
Lucretia

Advice politely requested, please

Post by Lucretia »

I need a change. And I have always had a burning desire to live in London. I have decided to do so.

I work for a large (US) bank and it is possible to either get a new job through our internal vacancy facility, or simply get a new job with another bank (although I favour the former).

I have many friends in London, some of whom are here (Hi!) and have no worries about that, or making new friends.

I also have an embryonic plan for living quarters.

What I would welcome is words of advice. About London. About a big change of city. I moved to NYC ***LITERALLY*** without a dollar on me (Ed lent me £20 to get to the airport!), and having not met the lady I was going to work for. That was only ever going to last for a bit, as was my working holiday in Australia. But this is a big change for me.

If you don't have any advice - tell me something amusing about cities you have lived in, and loved, or holidayed to, or anything.

:D
talula

Re: Advice politely requested, please

Post by talula »

I have no advice. Because you already moved somewhere once like this. I know our incredible time in NYC was just temporary. But really everything we do in life is never permanent. I think it's gonna be great. Because you'll be there and you're great!

Sorry that was incredibly cheesy. But I'm tired and lack the motivation to be witty. I'm excited for you!
mgan

Post by mgan »

Ohhh! How wonderful! *sigh*

Does that count as advice?
MenleyNin

Post by MenleyNin »

Huh. Too bad your bank doesn't have an Arkansas branch. BECAUSE I WOULD TOTALLY ROCK YOUR WORLD.

Or, um, at least feed you good food.
Pataouet

Post by Pataouet »

You mean the next time I'm coming to Edinburgh, I won't see you ?

Anyway, I don't have any advice but I can wish you all the best and offer you hugs & hugs.

Oh and it's way cheaper and faster to come to London ;)
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

MenleyNin wrote:Huh. Too bad your bank doesn't have an Arkansas branch. BECAUSE I WOULD TOTALLY ROCK YOUR WORLD.

Or, um, at least feed you good food.
Aw!!!

My NUMBER ONE AMBITION is to get a Green Card, and believe me, I would pimp myself all over the US if I got one!

PS Just looked up my bank's branches, and there isn't one in Arkansas! :cry:
CassyLee

Post by CassyLee »

Lucretia wrote:PS Just looked up my bank's branches, and there isn't one in Arkansas! :cry:
Is there one in Southern California? Because if there was & you came, I'd totally throw another WD party just for you.

As for the main topic - I have no wonderful advice, as I've never lived smack dab in a big city, but congrats on the move!
Callie

Post by Callie »

Come and get a job here, and then we can get a flat together, which would totally rock.

Wait a minute, we discussed that in chat the other night! :idea:

Still thinking it's a good idea. A flatmate I'd actually like and get on with! Wouldn't that be nice ;-)
Joel Cairo

Post by Joel Cairo »

So, we won't get to come to Edinburgh to see you? :cry:

Will you at least bring Jonathan with you?
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Joel Cairo wrote:So, we won't get to come to Edinburgh to see you? :cry:

Will you at least bring Jonathan with you?
Er .... dunno Joel Cairo - who are you?!