Connecticut joins Massachussettes and California...

A temporary board while I'm working out issues with the real WD.

The posts made here will not appear on the real WD when it re-opens.

Please note that I won't be providing any technical support for this board, as I would prefer to focus my attention on fixing the other board. So, if you're confused by anything, just try to figure things out, search the phpBB forums, ask other users for help, or just bear with it.
starshine

Connecticut joins Massachussettes and California...

Post by starshine »

...in allowing same-sex marriage.

The Connecticut State Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples cannot be denied the freedom to marry under the state Constitution. The ruling becomes effective on October 28th and our Attorney General has said the state will not appeal the ruling.

I'm just sorry that it took a lawsuit to make this happen since we already had civil unions without a lawsuit but at least it's happened at all. Three down, forty-seven to go.
mgan

Re: Connecticut joins Massachussettes and California...

Post by mgan »

:D :D :D
Rob

Which reminds me ...

Post by Rob »

Which reminds me ... California's Proposition 8 will be on the ballot next month, and if it passes, it will take away the recently-won right of gay couples to marry.

Fortunately, most recent polls show it failing. However, a (hopefully anomalous) Oct 6 poll had it passing by 5 points.

Both sides are competing in a money race as well, and that one's about even -- they've both spent just under $30 million at this point, and in both cases a relatively high percentage of that is coming from outside the state. (In the case of the pro-8 campaign, it's largely coming from the religious right.)

I know not everyone is in a position to help financially. But if you can ... head over to the No On Prop 8 website and kick in a few bucks. Even if you can't contribute, click anyway -- they've got some lovely commercials. ;) AND! Pass the link on to anyone you think might be interested. :mrgreen:
Ghost.com

Re: Connecticut joins Massachussettes and California...

Post by Ghost.com »

Do you realize how much $30 million could do? Homeless could be sheltered, hungry could be fed, my tuition could be paid (or at least some of it could).

I guess it is more important to tell other people who they are allowed to love. I mean, if we let gay people marry, who knows what will happen next! After all, my right hand is the best lover I've ever had.